The Electric Utility is owned and operated by the City of Penticton and provides electrical service to approximately 17,000 residential, commercial, and industrial customers within City limits through a medium voltage distribution and four substations. Power is purchased from FortisBC at a wholesale rate and resold to utility customers at a retail rate. The revenue generated from electrical sales is used to cover the costs associated with running the utility and also provides an annual dividend to the City which is used to fund general capital projects.
The Electric Utility provides the following services to the community:
- Electrical power distribution system design, installation, operation and maintenance;
- Electrical service connections to residential, commercial and industrial customers;
- Provision of revenue metering equipment and ensuring compliance with relevant legislative requirements of Measurement Canada;
- Streetlight design, installation and maintenance; and
- Traffic signal design, installation and maintenance.